From the kitchen of: Naked Mountain Vineyards
Wine Pairing: Naked Mountain Vineyards 2005 Scarlet Oak Red
2 lbs beef shank, cut into small cubes with all fat removed
12 small white onions, peeled
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp lard
2 cups mushrooms, peeled, sliced fine
Basil, chervil, marjoram
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
2 1/2 cups beef stock
1 1/2 cups salt pork, lean, diced
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Put salt pork in cold water and bring to a slow boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water and dry.
2. Place half the lard in heavy frying pan.
3. Put in onions, salt, pepper, and salt pork. Sauté until pork is yellow.
4. Remove the onion and salt pork, drain on paper towel.
5. In same lard (adding more if necessary), sauté mushrooms with salt and pepper until tender.
6. Remove mushrooms and drain for later use.
7. Sprinkle meat with salt, pepper, choice of herbs, and flour and sauté in same lard until meat is brown on all sides.
8. Put meat in a baking dish with bouquet garni, wine and stock. Check seasonings. Cover and cook in a 350º oven for two hours.
9. Add onions, mushrooms, and salt pork. Check seasonings.
10. Return to oven, covered, for 1/2 hour more. The sauce will have reduced in volumn by about one half. Serve hot, garnished with parsley.