From the kitchen of: Virginia Wine of the Month Club
Wine Pairing: Three Fox Vineyards 2006 Il Volpe
Bistecca ala Fiorentina
Rib eye steaks, bone in, 4 steaks each 16-18 oz and 1” thick
Fresh spinach (if using bagged spinach, two large bags)
Kosher salt (coarse)
Coarse ground black pepper
Good Italian bread
1. Rub steaks with olive oil and season with garlic salt and black pepper.
2. Fire up the grill and pre-heat on high.
3. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet or Wok.
4. Add spinach and sauté just until it wilts, then remove from heat. Season with Kosher salt and white pepper.
5.Throw steaks on the grill and turn once. Use 5 minutes per side for rare and 7 per side for medium rare. Cook longer to suit your tastes if need be.
6. Pull steaks from grill and let rest for one minute. Meantime, re-heat the spinach so it wilts further and drain it.
7. Place a nice portion of spinach onto each plate and set a steak next to it. Serve with the bread (for dipping into the juices or into olive oil).