From the kitchen of: Virginia Wine of the Month Club
Wine Pairing: Jefferson Vineyards' 2006 Cabernet Franc
Breast of Duck Over Hearty Salad
1 large Muscovy duck breast*
Fresh, coarsely ground black pepper
Fresh, young arugula
2 large beets
1 log of chevre (local, please)
½ cup lightly toasted pine nuts
Flake sea salt and fresh peppercorns
1. Boil beets, cool, peel, quarter and cover.
2. Score fat side of duck breast, sprinkle with sea salt, coarse, fresh ground black pepper.
3. Place duck breast in large frying pan on medium low heat – cover with pan screen to catch grease. Cook duck to medium-rare (skin will be browned and crisped, fat rendered almost completely). Flip briefly to sear meat-side of the breast. Remove to warm plate with fat side down, cover loosely for 10 minutes while prepping salad.
4. In large bowl, toss arugula very lightly with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place a full serving of salad in center of plate, with beets and slices of chevre around edges. Slice duck breast thinly, laying it fat side up in center. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
*Easiest to use is purchased Muscovy duck; but if you happen to have fresh, wild ducks, shorten and manage your cooking time aggressively.